Executive Board Minutes

Back

2021/05/07

  1. Meeting Opened: May 7th, 20218:00 am

 

Officers Present: Pete Baird, Craig Batty, Kris Croteau, Geoff Denstedt, Kevin Forbes, Jason MacDonald, Tom MacLean, Joe Mulhall, John Wabb.

 

Regrets:

 

  1. Values & Beliefs Moment/Health & Safety Moment:
    • Reviewed out come from health safety and wellness conference.
    • Reviewed Day of Mourning.
    • Reviewed Equality Policy pg 80-81 of constitution.

 

  1. Previous Minutes:
    • Motion: to approve meeting Minutes from April 9th 2021 M/S Joe Mulhall, Tom MacLean consensus.
    • Motion: to approve meeting minutes from April 12th 2021 M/S Joe Mulhall, Kevin Forbes consensus.
    • Motion: to approve meeting minutes from April 19th 2021 M/S Joe Mulhall, Tom MacLean consensus.

 

  1. Conference Call/Email:

 

  1. Meeting Agenda Items: Motion: to approve meeting agenda. M/S Joe Mulhall, Geoff Denstedt consensus.

 

  1. Conflict of Interest: none

 

  1. Unit Business:

a.     Alberta Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

b.     Atlantic Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

c.     Bruce Unit: Unit update provided by Don Mayer.

  • Looking for training location for welding training for CWB qualification. Proposal reviewed with the NEB.

d.     Central Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

e.     Greater Durham Region Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

f.      Greater Vancouver Area Unit: Unit update provided by Tom MacLean.

  • Kelly Johnston to be added to NEB committee update meeting email list.
  • Discussed convention, and local charity events.

g.     Kingston-Ottawa Unit: Unit update provided by Cody Quan.

  • General and Unit Executive meetings being scheduled.

h.     Niagara Falls-Hamilton Unit: Unit update provided by Mark Keyes.

  • Unit Executive held in April, also scheduled to meet in May.
  • Looking to get a Unit logo for swag shop.
  • Working on introduction to grievance training for committee.
  • Next general meeting to be held in June.

i.      Northwestern Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

j.      Northeastern Unit: Unit update provided by Pauline Cranston

  • May general meeting focus topic was convention.
  • June general meeting topic is grievances.
  • Unit is gaining momentum.
  • Working on future 50/50 Charity Raffle.

k.     Sask Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

l.      South Western Unit: Unit update provided by Pete Baird

  • May 12th general meeting to be held as a unit reboot.

Notes:

 

  1. National Committee Business

a.      Apprenticeship Committee: Committee update provided by Clay Dumoulin

  • Working on Budget for funds to September 2021.
  • Working on filling training seats.
  • The committee has reached out to Emily Boyce, if she accepts this would put the committee at 10 members.

b.      Audit Committee: Committee update provided by Craig Batty.

  • Meeting held the first week of May.  Future meetings to be held as a result.

c.       Communications Committee: Committee update provided by Mark Keyes.

  • Plan and budget has be submitted.
  • Working on quarterly newsletter.
  • Meeting to be held next week.
  • Committee is experiencing email issues, with emails being marked as Spam, and bouncing back. It is hard to ensure everyone is reached.

d.      Constitution Committee: Committee update provided by Tom McLean.

  • Committee is Meeting regularly, they are studying CUSW history, and hoping to begin work on resolutions in the near future.

e.      Growth and Opportunity Committee: Committee update provided by Tom MacLean.

  • Committee is now functioning, a Chair, and Recorder have been selected.
  •  Changes to the GO plan are being developed, and prepared to be presented to the board. Next meeting to be held May 13th 2021.
  • Nuclear Industry Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.
  • Health, Safety & Wellness Committee: Committee update was provided by Joe Mulhall.
    • Tidying up findings from the conference, and preparing to share findings with NEB, and those that attended.
    • Day of Mourning video clip was shared on April 28th.

h.      Member and Family Support Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

i.        Membership Committee: Committee update provided by Matt Hurley.

  • Meeting held 2 weeks ago, with another meeting to be held next week. Committee is working on presentation for the NEB.

j.        Negotiating Committee: Committee update provided by Joe Mulhall.

  • Working on phase 3 of the online course.
  • Working on brochure,

k.       Bargaining Rights Committee: to be established.

l.        Political Action Committee: Committee update provided by Jason MacDonald.

  • Working together with the nuclear industry committee, and budget for upcoming initiatives.

m.     Retiree’s Committee: Committee update provided by Joe Mulhall.

  • First draft of newsletter prepared.
  • Frequently ask questions and answers to be posted on webpage.

n.      Social Committee: Committee update provided by Linda Stella and Pauline Cranston.

  • Events to be posted on communication newsletter and face book page.
  • Still looking at the possibility of Aug 14th Wonderland family day.
  • Upcoming Lighthouse blues festival. Now moved to September.
  • Looking to do a December Christmas multi unit get together.
  • Trivia night, still being worked on. A new proposal is being worked on.
  • Upcoming contest to be held, May Mothers Day, June Fathers Day, October Halloween, November Remembrance Day, and December Christmas.  

o.      Technology Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

p.      Training & Education Committee: Committee reviewed from portal.

q.      Values and Beliefs Committee: Committee update provided by Craig Batty.

  • Tradeswomen Committee: Committee update provided by Craig Batty.

Notes:

  1. Correspondence: see attached.

 

  1. Expenses: Reviewed by NEB

 

Date

Name

Memo

Amount

2021-04-12

Dickinson, Angelia E

Values & Beliefs Committee Meeting - 06 / 07 Apr.'21

-257.81

2021-04-12

McGowan, Jeff

Working Rules Committee Meeting - 08 April 2021

-164.83

2021-04-12

Denison, Luke

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 10 Jan. to 10 Mar.'2021

-237.52

2021-04-12

POSTILL, TYLER E

Membership Committee Meeting - 08 April 2021

-127.58

2021-04-15

Baird, Peter

Weekly Expenses re April 6th, 2021

-219.49

2021-04-15

Neil, Jason

Growth & Opportunities Committee Meeting - 01 April 2021

-357.18

2021-04-15

Mulhall, Joseph W

NEB Mid-Term Strategy Meeting @ SNDI Office - 24 & 25 March 2021

-590.34

2021-04-16

Eckenswiller, Travis

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 09 April 2021

-218.09

2021-04-19

Brosseau, Daniel

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 01 Apr.'21 Bill Date: 08 April 2021

-324.96

2021-04-19

McParland, David

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 11 April 2021

-209.05

2021-04-19

Bissonnette, Bobby M.

Labour Board Hearing - 20 April 2021

-263.92

2021-04-22

Batty, Craig E.

NEB Meeting - 09 April 2021

-293.98

2021-04-22

Watson, James (Jim) M.

Monthly Expenses re March 2021 / Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 13 Mar.'21

-229.14

2021-04-23

Allan, Marion

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: Jan. to Mar.'21/Internet Charges January ‘21

-793.18

2021-04-26

McDowall, Ryan

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 01 March & 01 April 2021

-214.70

2021-04-26

PAGETT, ADAM M

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 14 Feb. to 14 April 2021

-297.39

2021-04-26

McGowan, Jeff

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 21 April 2021

-216.12

2021-04-26

Dorcas, Ryan

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 14 March 2021

-84.44

2021-04-27

Calderaro, Paul.

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 11 Jan. to 11 April 2021

-474.60

2021-04-27

Reilly, Braeman

Internet Charges re Zoom & Web Ex. Meetings - Inv. Date: 01 April 2021

-79.04

2021-04-27

Coros, Brad

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 07 March 2021 & 07 April 2021

-262.16

2021-04-29

Housser, Rob

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 14 April 2021

-199.27

2021-04-29

Guindon, Chad .

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 13 Feb. to 3 April 2021

-260.47

2021-04-29

Guindon, Chad .

Facilitator @ Disciplinary Meeting on March 1st, 2021

-80.57

2021-04-29

Baird, Peter

Mileage / 407 ETR / Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 26 April 2021

-290.49

2021-04-29

Davidson, Norda

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 01 April 2021

-165.36

2021-04-30

Stajkowski, Marissa

Staples re Posters & Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 10 Apr.'21

-356.58

2021-05-03

Holmes, Michelle Y.

Constitution Committee Meeting - 26 April 2021

-367.25

2021-05-03

Archibald, Matthew

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 14 August 2020 to 14 April 2021

-719.64

2021-05-04

Nahorney, Christopher

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 01 May 2021

-117.67

2021-05-06

Denstedt, Geoff

Constitution Committee Meeting - 26 April 2021

-295.93

2021-05-06

Mulgrew, Mark

Cellular Charges re 01 March & 01 April 2021

-169.50

     

-9,234.18

 

Cheques for Approval: Motion to Approve M/S Tom MacLean, Geoff Denstedt consensus.

 

  1. Reports

 

  1. Membership Reports:

 

Members off Work: William Cooke, Jason McIntosh, Dan Plexman, Peter Rickards, Kara Pearson, Spencer White, Jordan Clarke, Darren Christie, Jeffrey R Andrew, Timothy Carroll, Isaac Dautey, Robert Edwards, Megan Elarte, Eric Elliott, Lawrence Hill, Gord Jennings, Rick Kluke, Steven Krysko, Roch Labelle, Ryan Law, Donald Mccormick, Bruce Merlin, Donald Nugent, Douglas Vigus, Cory Zufelt.

We welcome the following Members: Campbell Cole Anderson, Ryan Eric Ballard, River Beardy, Chad Binguis, Stephen Michael Boulton, Guy Dexter Brake, James Harvey Bricklin, Brady Budgell, Neil James Burnet, Cyric Burt, Jeffrey Couse, Shannon Christine Coutts, Dennis Cullen, Robert Colin Davidson, David Findlay, Nathan F. Fisher, Dominic Fortin, Matthew French, Allan Lloyd Goulding, Grant Guy, Barry Haddow, Isaac Hanson, Dallas Anthony Hardy, Christopher Harrison, Nathan Amos Harvey, Clayton William Hebert, Tyler Madison Heinrichs, Todd Hellyer, Pua Hua, Christopher Roy Hurcombe, Gerald Jewell, Brian Kearley, Jared Raymond Kearley, Bowin Kerbrat, Alexander Krampitz, Joshua Sandor Lawson, Callum Macdonald, Michael George Macdonald, Michael Macdonell, Eric Avalon Marsh, Dustin Mathonia, Sasha Hayley Michano, Derek Edwin Millar, Michael James Moffatt, Kenneth Allan Mullett, Richard (Ritchie) Page, Matthew James Persad, Jakob Philp, Rodney Norman Piercey, Kenneth Pipher, Angus Redfern, Lucas James Reed, Lucas James Reed, Nathan Rivet, Justin Kyle Roberts, Benjamin Rukavina, Dylan Patrick Ryan, Michael Richard Savage, Walter Schick, Caleb Shaganash, Michael Francis Shea, Stephen Snow, Stanley Tesarek, Ryan Thompson, Milton Tookenay, Jacob Mitchell Vickers, Kaeron Royston Vyphuis, Jamie Wahamaa, Leslie George Welsh, Loran Whittle.

  1. Financial Report: Provided by John Wabb and reviewed by NEB.

 

  1. Recruitment& Referral: Report provided by Matt Hurley.

 

  1. Hiring Hall Dispatch Report: Report reviewed.

 

  1. Officer Reports:
    • President: Report provided by John Wabb.
    • Notice to bargain on COPE agreement.
    • First Vice President: Report provided by Tom MacLean.
    • Workplace Development Representative: Report provided by Pete Baird.
    • Continued work with contractors,
    • Georgian college program is continuing.

 

  1. CCU Report: An article is required for the CCU spring magazine. Action Joe Mulhall.

 

  1. ASWA Report: report provided by Joe Mulhall, and Tom MacLean.
    • Annual general meeting has been postponed and will be held in coordination of Coalition of Chiefs Conference in Alberta.
    • Dale is looking into the need for additional funding and may have an external sponsor.

 

Business Arising:

 

  1. Convention Preparation – Guide and Speaker:
    • Convention theme CommUnity Building Together.
    • Accommodations and Meals to be based off of single occupancy NEB Consensus. More investigation is now required around budget.
    • Convention organizing committee meeting on May 18th to continue discussion.     
    • Chairs Friday Activity day budget, cost to be covered by the training trust fund.
    • Nomination package to be sent out next week for the 8th CUSW convention Oct 2nd, and 3rd 2021, in Port Elgin Ontario.  
    • The week of May 10th 2021 nomination forms to be sent out.
    • May 28 is Nomination cut off.
    • Monday May 31st Ballot packages mailed out to members.
    • Friday July 9th 2021 Deadline for receipt of ballots at post office box.
    • Updated guest list, reviewed by NEB.
    • Constitution committee is working on updating the Convention portion of the website.
    • The organizing committee is now meeting every 2 weeks.
    • Dr Stephanie Ross has agreed to develop a white paper and speak at our convention.
    • Electronic submission of resolutions needs to be worked on with Joe Cook.
    • Booking of Delegates we require a point person.
    • Appoint Umpire and Rules of Order.

 

  1. Participation Roundtable Update: Joe Mulhall and Kris Croteau are still working on this action item.

 

  1. IT System, IT Infrastructure and Web Portal Working Group Update: update provided by John Wabb, go live date extended to September, and lots of resources are being used to complete this task. We are still working within the budget.

 

  1. Canadian Immigration Project Update: Update from Jason MacDonald, continued development on potential future partnership.

 

  1. ETTF Recommendation – Apprentice Trade School Reimbursement Policy: this is still being developed. Moved to next month’s agenda.

 

  1. MOLTSD Modernizing the Skilled Trades &Apprenticeship Act Engagement: We are still waiting for the public announcement. Continued effort on white paper development.

 

  1. MOLTSD Skills Development Fund Application: waiting for announcement.

 

  1. Workplace Capacity Building Plan – Steering Committee Update: report provided by Cody Quan, committee is functioning and meeting regularly. 

 

  1. Scholarships and Bursaries: Moved to June Meeting

 

  1. Electronics Policy: Moved to June Meeting

 

New Business:

 

  1. Industrial Info Service Proposal: Tom MacLean provided report, Motion to rent the program for 1 year M/S Tom MacLean, and Craig Batty, NEB Consensus.

 

  1. Launch Pad Donation: Don Mayer proposal for a $5000.00 dollar donation, with $2500 from Bruce Unit and $2500 from CUSW. Motion to provide CUSW $2500 portion M/S Geoff Denstedt, and Craig Batty.  NEB Consensus.

 

  1. Staff Participation in CUSW Events: NEB agrees Staff should participate in CUSW events such as the annual Health Safety and Wellness conference.

 

  1. APPrO Conference November 29 & 30, 2021: Motion to send 4 people from a combination of GO committee, SNA, and membership at a cost of $245 each person totaling $980Tom MacLean Kevin Forbes NEB Consensus.

 

  1. Chiefs of Ontario Advocate: Motion to purchase ad space at 749.50 Tom MacLean, Geoff Denstedt

 

  1. Budget for support of the framework of proceeding with Bargaining Rights: Joe Mulhall Action to return to committee and ask them to identify what the framework will look like, and to build a budget to support the requirements. Motion to provide $20,000.00 startup budget. M/S Kris Croteau, Tom MacLean. NEB Consensus.

 

  1. Committee Day: Tom MacLean proposal of Virtual Quarterly Committee Days. To be completed on a similar layout to training, and conferences, with virtual lobby, and breakout rooms. Action John Wabb to reach out to Committee Chairs to find interest to form some structure for online committee day events.  Motion to support/fund virtual committee day the development and implementation of committee day. Tom MacLean, and Craig Batty, NEB Consensus.

 

  1. Communications Committee Budget: Motion to approve budget of $5350, M/S Tom MacLean Kris Croteau consensus.

 

 

Good of the Union:

  1. Bill Gilroy Recognition Update: Tom to engage Convention Committee for honorary Delegates.

Motion to Adjourn:  2:10 pm M/S Tom MacLean Kevin Forbes, consensus

Next Meetings:

 

  1. Friday June 4, 2021 – 8:00 til 4:00
  2. Friday July 9th   2021 8:00 til 4:00
  3. Friday Aug 13th 2021 8:00 til 4:00
  4. September 8-11th 2021 8:00 til 4:00