Executive Board Minutes

Back

2020/12/04

  1. Meeting Opened: December 4, 2020 8:02 am

 

Officers Present: Pete Baird, Craig Batty, Kris Croteau, Geoff Denstedt, Kevin Forbes, Jason MacDonald, Tom MacLean, Joe Mulhall, John Wabb.

 

Regrets: none

 

  1. Values& Beliefs Moment: Equality Policy and Procedures on Discrimination, Harassment and Sexual Harassment Page 80. 

 

  1. Previous Minutes:
    • Motion to Approve November 13, 2020 NEB Meeting Minutes. M/S Craig Batty Geoff Denstedt consensus.
    • Motion to Approve Nov 24th 2020 NEB Meeting Minutes M/S Joe Mulhall, Kris Croteau.

 

  1. Conference Call/Email: none

 

  1. Business arising from the Minutes: added to agenda

 

  1. Meeting Agenda Items: Motion to Approve. M/S Craig Batty, Kris Croteau consensus

 

  1. Unit Business:

a.     Alberta Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal

b.     Atlantic Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal

c.     Bruce Unit: Unit update provided by Pete Baird.

  • Unit held a successful apprentice orientation.
  • Unit has chosen to repurpose Christmas party funds as donations for local food banks.

d.     Central Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

e.     Greater Durham Region Unit: Unit update provided by Janet Crowther. 

  • Unit decision to transfer Holiday Party funds to different charitable organizations.
  • Feed the Need Durham $1500 charitable donation. This is being used to fund the Keller Williams Turkey Dinner.
  • Denise House $1500 charitable donation. 
  • Noah’s Ark Animal Therapy $1500 charitable donation.
  • Hydro One Employee Tyler's Family - $500
  • December 11 2020 Christmas Zoom drinks night.
  • Unit is exploring the idea of a CUSW GDR store for selling unit/union swag.

f.      Greater Vancouver Area Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

g.     Kingston-Ottawa Unit: Unit update provided by Cody Quan.

  • Unit meeting to be held on December 8, 2020.
  • Unit decision to transfer Holiday Party funds to different charitable organizations.
  • Budget will be finished December 82020 and provided to Craig Batty on Wednesday December 9, 2020.

h.     Niagara Falls-Hamilton Unit: Unit update provided by Mark Keyes.

  • Annual budget and strategy being developed.
  • Looking to fill committee positions.
  • Unit is donating Christmas party fund to local charities.
    • Project Share, Niagara Falls
    • Community Care, St. Catharines
    • Hope Center, Welland
    • Sharing Cupboard, Simcoe
    • Six Nation’s Christmas Fund
    • Food For Life, Burlington
    • Good Sheppard Venture Food Bank, Hamilton
    • Self-Help Food Bank, Cambridge

i.      North Western Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

j.      North Eastern Unit: Unit update provided by Pauline Cranston.

  • New Unit Executive Wayne Sarvard, Don levesque(members-at-large), Christine Meier (Treasurer), Alison Sivers (Recorder) and Pauline Cranston (Unit Chair). To contact the executive, please email northernunit@cusw.ca, still looking for nominations for unit committees.
  • Please note we are still in need of a Vice Chair and one more members-at-large
  • Committee nominations required are Events, Grievance, Growth, Indigenous Relations, Training and Human Rights & Equality committees. Nominations for the Unit Audit committee will be in a few months time. Information on the Committee mandates, structure, term dates and nomination form will be sent in a separate email. If, due to the challenges of COVID, you are unable have a unit member nominate you, please do not let that stop you from sending in your nomination form for the committee that you are interested in.
  • Monthly newsletter, with unit meeting minutes, upcoming meetings, agendas, upcoming events, and any questions that come up through the email. 
  • Next general meeting held on December 2, 2020 on ZOOM at 7pm. 
  1. Sask Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

l.      South Western Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal

Notes:

 

  1. National Committee Business

a.      Apprenticeship Committee: Committee update provided by Geoff Denstedt. 

  • Glen McNeil would like to participate. 

b.      Audit Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

c.       Communications Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

  • Janet Crowther would like to possibly partner with the national committee as the GDR monthly newsletter has become too cumbersome for one person to handle, but has received a warm response. 
  • a meeting has been proposed between Janet Crowther and the national communications committee. Action Kevin Forbes.

d.      Constitution Committee: Committee update provided by Geoff Denstedt, and Tom McLean. 

  • Inaugural meeting has been held, constitution has been reviewed by the committee members. 
  • Website issues have slowed the process down slightly and need to be resolved prior to next meeting. 
  1. Health, Safety & Wellness Committee: Committee update was provided by Joe Mulhall.
  2. Another meeting has been held, each member has assumed their role. 
  3. Meeting minutes are now stored on the committee portal.
  4. Adam Bingley is working on setting up a Virtual Safety Conference. 
  5. Next meeting is scheduled; Committee is working on setting long term goals. 
  6. Safety programs are being setup for individual employers for devolving future Health and Safety policies. 

f.        Negotiating Committee: Committee update provided by Joe Mulhall. 

  • 5 active members have taken roles.
  • Meetings are being held every two weeks.
  • Budget has been submitted.
  • Brent McDonald is interim Committee Chair.
  • Committee is moving forward well. Training received is being used, and the team is eager to transfer this knowledge to other activists.  

g.      Growth and Opportunity Committee: Committee update provided by Jason MacDonald.

  • Web blast required for call for participation. Action John Wabb
  • Unit growth committees and National Growth Committee to be connected, to see if participation could be pulled from unit growth committees. 
  • Contractor/ Employer day is now starting to show the results we had hoped for.

h.      Political Action Committee: Committee update provided by Jason MacDonald

  • Only one other person has expressed interest, but still hasn’t committed.  
  • Working with CCU Kelly Johnson, on political action tool kit.
  • Awaiting Minister of Labour announcement around apprenticeships.
  • New Ward elected in Bruce County Janice Jackson, looking forward to a personal meeting. 
  • Immigration Canada, process of immigrating skilled workers to Canada in-between 2021-2023.  All communication will be delivered through web form. At the bottom of the web form it states a response will take a minimum of 6 weeks, if a response is warranted. This isn’t acceptable. 

i.        Retiree’s Committee: Committee update provided by Joe Mulhall.

  • Virtual Holiday party, Janet Steward is going to help host on December 14 at 12 noon.
  • Budget proposal has been provided to NEB.

j.        Member and Family Support Committee: Committee update provided by Craig Batty.

k.      Social Committee: Committee update provided by Linda Stella.

  • Meeting Dec 9th 2020, budget to be provided after.
  • A successful Halloween contest was held.
  • A successful Remembrance Day colouring contest was held.
  • Over 400 members on CUSW Social Facebook Group.
  • Christmas holiday dinner gift certificate contest to be held.
  • Christmas colouring contest coming up.
  • Retirement held online for Larry Budarick.

 

l.        Technology Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal. 

  • Still looking for members, and have not meet yet, meeting to soon be scheduled

m.     Training & Education Committee: Committee update provided by John Wabb.

n.      Values and Beliefs Committee: Committee update provided by Joe Mulhall

  • Advocate training held with Janet Stewart. This was very well received
  • White Ribbon Campaign event was attended by many CUSW members December 3.

o.      Membership Committee: Committee update provided by Cody Quan.

  • November 25th meeting held.
  • Recommendation to include information on basic contributions in welcome package. (Current how-to video noted)
  • Poor location of Joint Dispatch rules on website. Action taken by Cody Quan to speak to Joe Cook about finding a more accessible location on new website.
  • Committee Recommendation to add a 9th rule to National Hiring Hall Rules:

Financial Hardship Exception: If a member, at the time of layoff, has not accumulated enough hours to collect EI benefits, he/she may retain his/ her previous "layoff date". It will be the responsibility of the member to provide documentation to the National Dispatcher confirming their ineligibility for EI benefits and any other documentation. supporting the claim. For consideration under this clause, a Member must be actively seeking available work. All decisions regarding eligibility will be made by the National Dispatch Committee.

  •  John Wabb to sit in with Committee to review proposed recommendation. 

Notes:

  1. Correspondence: see attached.

 

  1. Expenses: Reviewed

 

2020-11-09

Hymers, Darren

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 01 Nov.'20

-56.50

2020-11-09

PAGETT, ADAM M

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 14 Sept. & 14 Oct.'2020

-169.50

2020-11-12

Hurley, Matthew

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 17 Aug to 17 OCtober 2020

-187.02

2020-11-12

Baird, Peter

Cellular Charges re Bill Date:24 October 2020

-141.25

2020-11-12

Stajkowski, Marissa

Postal Charges & Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 10 October 2020

-85.93

2020-11-13

Caissa LLP

Accounting Assistance/Discussions - Mar. to Sept.'20

-10,961.00

2020-11-13

Batty, Craig E.

Audit Work and NEB Prep - 05 Nov.'20

-293.04

2020-11-13

Nahorney, Christopher

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 01 November 2020

-117.67

2020-11-16

Heyes, Scott

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 01 Nov. '20

-118.65

2020-11-16

Travis Eckenswiller

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 09 November 2020

-320.78

2020-11-18

Gagnon, Kane

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 01 October & 01 November 2020

-304.11

2020-11-18

Uteck, Emily-Cain

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 10 Nov.'20

-159.49

2020-11-19

Batty, Craig E.

Audit Prep & National Executive Board Meeting - 09/10 Nov.'20

-166.26

2020-11-20

Mulhall, Joseph W

NEB Strategy Meeting - 09 to 12 September 2020

-795.30

2020-11-20

Caissa LLP

Interim Billing re June 30th, 2020 Audited Financial St...

-20,905.00

2020-11-23

Gibbons, Allan

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 23 Jul. to 23 October 2020

-260.00

2020-11-23

McGowan, Jeff

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 21 October & 21 November 2020

-228.61

2020-11-23

Weir, Andrew

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 11 Sept, 11 Oct. & 11 Nov.'20

-445.23

2020-11-26

Baird, Peter

Weekly Expenses re 15 November 2020

-715.13

2020-11-26

Housser, Rob

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 14 October & 14 November 2020

-311.88

2020-11-26

Mulgrew, Mark

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 30 November 2020

-84.75

2020-11-26

Denstedt, Geoff

E-Board Meeting - 13 November 2020

-303.42

2020-11-26

Batty, Craig E.

Treasurer Duties - 19 Nov.'20

-423.70

2020-11-27

McDowall, Ryan

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 01 November 2020

-141.25

2020-11-30

Dance, Brian

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 10 Nov.'20

-110.06

2020-11-30

Bissonnette, Bobby M.

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 14 Nov.'20

-300.72

2020-12-03

Mayer, Donald

Bruce Power Negotiations - 19 November 2020

-360.92

2020-12-03

Baird, Peter B.

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 24 Nov.'20

-141.25

2020-12-03

Van Rooyen, Jessica

Virtual CAF Conference & Networking Event - 14 Oct.'20

-461.06

2020-12-03

Mayer, Donald

Bruce Power Bargaining - 26 November 2020

-360.92

2020-12-04

MacLean, Thomas R

Weekly Expenses re 30 Nov. to 04 December 2020

-256.15

2020-12-04

Carolyn Hart

Inv. No.:1358 re Monthly Retainer - December 2020

-5,085.00

2020-12-04

Ursel Phillips Fellows

Billing up to 30 Sept.'20

-6,059.01

2020-12-04

Ursel Phillips Fellows

Billing Up to End of 31 August 2020

-2,109.73

     

-52,940.29

 

         Cheques for Approval: Motion to Approve M/S Kris Croteau, Kevin Forbes consensus.

 

  1. Reports:

 

  1. Membership Reports:

 

Members off Work: William Cooke, Jason McIntosh, Dan Plexman, Peter Rickards.

Members Receiving LTD: Jeffrey R Andrew, Jonathan Babcock, Timothy Carroll, Isaac Dautey, David A. Edgcumbe, Megan Elarte, Eric Elliott, David Harrigan, Gord Jennings, Rick Kluke, Steven Krysko, Roch Labelle, Donald McCormick, Bruce Merlin, Donald Nugent, Douglas Vigus, Cory Zufelt.

We Welcome the following Members: Edward Lucier, Julian Okrasa, John Trozzo, Troy Cooper, Aaron Fulawka, Michael Bain Donaldson, Michael Bain Donaldson, Stewart Tozer, Devon Mark Ross Rowe, William Robinson, Katrina Stankey, Justice Krein, Ryan Thompson, Christopher John Flood, Zebb Carpenter-Reurink, Scott Innes Mackay, Tevin Daybutch, Alan Place, Nick Stryker, Jason Forget, Mark Locking, Ryan Hickey, Corey Lindell, Raymond Stevens, Noel Rand Osborne, Michael Lafleur, Devin Joseph Budney, Mason Lovegrove, Konner Stacey, Andrew Duquette, Jose Nicolas Ayala Guzman, Lorenzo Zavala Herrera, Norman Wheadon, Brandon Hollier, Nicholas (Nick) Wright, Art Renaud, Adam Gerard Handrahan, Ricky Kevin Pope, Richard Charles Breen, Jamie Leo Perry, Conrad Nigel Sheldon Meekis, Oscar Garza, Brett Wilcox, Christian Thibodeau, Sheldon Budgell, Petre Calin Dorobantu, Trisha Johnston, Alison Todoroff, Jesse H Taylor, Kirk Frederick Chaulk, Matthew Woodland, Ethan Mcwhinnie, Michael Kosa, Lance Mandamin, Percy Muckuck, Dylan Biedrzycki, Kyler Anthony Hunter Tyance, Alexander John Walker, Robert G. Sanderson, Jaco Zacharias Jh De Beer, Karl R Schultz, Roy Lucier, Glenn Cameron, David James (Jim) Smith, Malcolm Stuart Newton.

  1. Financial Report: Update provided by Craig Batty.

 

  1. Recruitment& Referral: Update provided by Matt Hurley.
  2. Recruitment team meetings being held every two weeks, all units are invited to attend.
  • Units are participation, and group members view participation as being both a rewarding, and  positive experience. 

 

  1. Hiring Hall Dispatch Report: see report attached.

 

  1. IT System project and IT Infrastructure project Update: Report provided by Joe Mulhall. Biweekly updates continue, and all components continue to run well. Looking at a startup date of September 2021. 

 

  1. Officer Reports:
  2. President:  John Wabb provided a report.

 

  • First Vice President: Tom MacLean provided a report.

 

  • Workplace Development Representative: Pete Baird provided a report. 
    • We have been invited to sit on a panel for Build a Dream January session in Port Elgin
    • Georgian College Placement Program is going well. Georgian College would like a letter of support from CUSW to forward to the Government.
    • Continued help with many contractors. 

 

  1. SNA Report: Joe Mulhall provided report.

 

  1. SNDI Report: Craig Batty provided a report. 

 

  1. CCU Report: Request sent for donations to food banks.

 

  1. Convention Update: 
  2. Jessica Van Rooyen is now on the committee.
  3. Unifor is ok with us moving the convention date.
  • New suggested date of October 2nd, 3rd, and 4th 2021. Unifor to be contacted to see if this is acceptable. 

 

  1. MOLTSD Apprenticeship Engagement: report provided, by Tom McLean and Jason MacDonald. 

Skilled trades people to provide recommendations. 

 

  • CUSW-BC Report: Tom provided a report.

 

  1. ASWA Report: provided by Tom McLean. 

 

  • Kristopher Stevens Center of Circle: update provided by Kristopher Stevens, A video was shared with the NEB. Report provided by Kristopher Stevens spoke about his new responsibilities in Roots to Roofs. 

 

  1. New Business:
  1. Staff Virtual Xmas Gathering – Charity Donation: We will engage staff to see what day is good for the virtual gathering and identify charity organizations. Action Amy Tam

 

  1. National Committee Budgets – Negotiating Committee:  Motion to accept National Negotiating Committee Budget. M/S Tom McLean Craig Batty NEB Consensus. 

 

  1. Retirees Committee Budget: Motion to accept National Retirees Committee Budget. M/S Tom McLean, Kevin Forbes NEB Consensus. 

 

  1. Unit Budgets – GDR Unit, Niagara Hamilton Unit: 

 

  1. Hamilton Niagara Unit has proposed to donate their Christmas party fund to local charities. NEB agrees this is acceptable. Budget to be submitted after next unit executive meeting.

 

  1. GDR Budget: Motion to accept GDR Budget. M/S Kevin Forbes, Tom McLean NEB Consensus. 

 

  1. Union Representative Wage Policy – Article 7.06 (viii): Policy reviewed by Tom McLean. Motion to accept proposed policy. M/S Tom McLean, Kevin Forbes consensus.

 

  1. Oxford Community Energy Cooperative 2020 AGM: Saturday December 5, 2020: Action Craig Batty to forward invitations to Geoff Denstedt, and Jason MacDonald. 

 

  1. Canadian Apprenticeship Forum: – Virtual National Apprenticeship Conference February 22-23, 2021 Motion to send two people from CUSW to attend with lost wages, no travel mileage, or expenses. M/S Tom McLean, Craig Batty Action: Alex and Norda to follow up to see previous meeting minutes as two people have been approved to attend from the AGC. 

 

  1. Member Marco Macchione: Inquiring if CUSW organizes any programs for member with children with disabilities. He expresses interest in participating in existing programs and if there isn’t any at the current moment, he would like to help set up such programs for member so that they can more easily support each other.  Action: Craig Batty to refer to the Values and Beliefs Committee. 

 

  1. Apprenticeship Committee AppointmentMotion: to appoint Glen McNeil, M/S Geoff Denstedt, Craig Batty.

 

  • Call for Participation required: Apprenticeship Committee, Training and Educations Committee, Growth and Opportunity Committee, Communications committee, Political Action Committee.

 

  1. Budget for Bargaining Unit Negotiating Committees: Motion to approve lost wages and expense for the OPG and Bruce Power Bargaining Unit Negotiating Committees M/S Tom McLean Geoff Denstedt consensus.

 

  • Bargaining Rights Subcommittee: Action: The National Negotiating Committee will establish a subcommittee to build capacity within individual negotiating committees, and eventually the National Negotiating Committee.

 

  1. Good of the Union:
  1. Bill Gilroy Recognition Update: held over to next meeting.
  2. Proposal for CUSW support - Lighthouse Blues festival Location: Kincardine, Ontario Proposed Sponsorship - $11,000 to help support the family side of the events portion. Suggestion: $2000 from the Bruce Unit, $2000 from National Social committee, $6000 from the NEB. $1000 will still need to be raised by members. This event helps raise funds for a local hospital and old age home. Motion to approve a donation of $6000.00 M/S Geoff Denstedt, Tom McLean consensus.
  3. Good of the Union: We would like to encourage Members to share their good news actions and stories with the Membership. A spot on the website main page will be developed Action: Joe Cook.
  4. We are proud to share the stories of generosity many of our Units and Committees have proposed.  Donations have been made to several local charities in lieu of unit Christmas functions.  Donations were made to the following Feed The Need, Denise House, Noah’s Ark, Tylers Family and the Light House Blues Fest.  Many units are still working with other charities to help spread the Christmas cheer in this season’s time of need.   

 

  1. Motion to Adjourn1:56 pm M/S Tom McLean, John Wabb consensus

 

Next Meetings: Post NEB Schedule so committees and units are aware of schedule.

  •  
  • Monday December 14, 2020 7pm-8pm topic for discussion is sustainability.
  • Friday January 8, 2021 – 8:00 til 4:00
  • Friday February 5, 2021 – 8:00 til 4:00
  • Friday March 5, 2021 – 8:00 til 4:00
  • Friday April 2, 2021 – 8:00 til 4:00