Executive Board Minutes

Back

2020/10/02

  1. Meeting Opened: October 2, 2020 8:00 am

 

Officers Present: Pete Baird, Craig Batty, Kris Croteau, Geoff Denstedt, Kevin Forbes, Jason MacDonald, Tom MacLean, Joe Mulhall, John Wabb

 

Regrets: none

 

  1. Values& Beliefs Moment: Human Rights Policy Code of Conduct reviewed page 75-76.

 

  1. Previous Minutes: Motion to Approve. M/S Joe Mulhall, Craig Batty consensus

 

  1. Conference Call/Email:

 

2020-2021 Strategy Motions and Action. Motion: to approve. M/S Geoff, Tom Consensus.

 

2020-2021 Annual Budget. Motion: to approve. M/S Craig, Geoff Consensus.

 

  1. Business arising from the Minutes: added to agenda

 

  1. Meeting Agenda Items: Motion to Approve. M/S Kris Croteau, Craig Batty consensus

 

  1. Unit Business:

a.     Alberta Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal

b.     Atlantic Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal

c.     Bruce Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal,

  • Unit Executive election is complete.

d.     Central Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

  • Need to follow up with Unit Executive concerning election.

e.     Greater Durham Region Unit: Committee update reviewed from portal.

  • Unit Executive election is complete.
  • Unit recently participated in the Big Brother/Sister Charity Golf Tournament.
  • Last general meeting had 10 members present.

f.      Greater Vancouver Area Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal

g.     Kingston-Ottawa Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

h.     Niagara Falls-Hamilton Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

  • Unit Executive election is complete.

i.      Northern Unit: Committee update reviewed from portal.

  • Unit Executive election is now underway. 
  • Next general meeting is Oct 14th. Matt Hurley to be invited for recruitment conversation.
  • Fishing derby is now over, prizes awarded to 1st and 2nd place.
  • New social events being discussed, Unit would like to collaborate with Social committee.
  • Unit Executive requests input from Craig Batty concerning budget

j.      Sask Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal.

k.     South Western Unit: Unit update reviewed from portal

Notes: Units to update new Unit Executive on website.

 

  1. National Committee Business

a.      Apprenticeship Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

b.      Audit Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

c.       Communications Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

d.      Constitution Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

  1. Health, Safety & Wellness Committee: Committee update was provided by Joe Mulhall.
    • First meeting to be held next week.
    • Members of the committee will join the committee preparing for the coroner’s inquest. 

f.        Negotiating Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

g.      Growth and Opportunity Committee: Committee update provided by Tom MacLean

·     First meeting to be held next week. 

·     A follow up meeting will be scheduled to update the plan.

h.      Political Action Committee: Committee update provided by Jason MacDonald

·     Jason raised a number of questions about the role of the committee.

·     Jason will prepare a discussion paper for the NEB to clarify the role of the committee.

i.        Retiree’s Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

j.        Member and Family Support Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

k.      Social Committee: Committee update provided by Linda Stella and Pauline Carkner. 

·     The Committee would like to request 1500 dollars in gift cards, to be split up into many denominations. Gift cards to award members for a variety of online contest. Examples of contest will be but not limited to,Christmas coloring for kids, Christmas tree decorationHalloween house decorationPumpkin carving, etc.

l.        Technology Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

m.     Training & Education Committee: Committee update provided by John Wabb.

·     We continue to require interested Members for the committee. An update on Trustee activities was provided.

n.      Values and Beliefs Committee: Committee update reviewed from portal.

o.      Membership Committee: Committee update provided by Matt Hurley.

·     Setting up meetings for next week to get new committee up to speed.

Notes:

 

Correspondence: See attached.

 

  1. Expenses: Reviewed 

 

Date

Name

Memo

Amount

2020-09-14

Dance, Brian

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 10 August 2020

-111.19

2020-09-14

Uteck, Emily-Cain

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 10 August 2020 & 10 September 2020

-314.09

2020-09-14

Durand, Andre

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 09 May 2020 to 09 September 2020

-415.84

2020-09-14

Hymers, Darren

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 01 September 2020

-56.50

2020-09-17

Housser, Rob

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 14 August 2020

-155.94

2020-09-17

Batty, Craig E.

E-Board Strategy Session Prep @ Oshawa Office

-1,542.54

2020-09-17

STAJKOWSKI, MARISSA

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 10 Sept.'20 & Postage Charges

-110.83

2020-09-17

MacLean, Thomas R

E-Board Strategy Meeting Mileage - 09/10 Sept.'20 & ETR Bill

-568.53

2020-09-17

MacDonald, Jason

Zoom Subscription Upgrade re G&O Committee

-210.00

2020-09-17

MacDonald, Jason

E-Board Strategy Meeting re Mileage - 08 Sept to 11 Spet.'20

-524.52

2020-09-17

Baird, Peter

E-Board Strategy Session - 08 Sept to 11 Sept.'20

-734.78

2020-09-17

Mulgrew, Mark

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 30 August 2020

-84.75

2020-09-17

Heyes, Scott

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 01 Sept 2020

-118.65

2020-09-17

Doyle, Jason John

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 03 August & 03 September 2020

-305.10

2020-09-17

Travis ECKENSWILLER

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 09 Sept 2020

-218.09

2020-09-17

DEGAGNE, NATHAN B

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 13 Jun to 13 August 2020

-322.05

2020-09-24

Batty, Craig E.

Treasurer Duties & Audit Prep - 18 Sept.'20

-426.74

2020-09-24

Nahorney, Christopher

CUSW/OPG Bargaining - 16 Sept.'20 (Inclds. Board)

-505.11

2020-09-24

McGowan, Jeff

CUSW/OPG Bargaining - 16 & 18 September 2020

-748.85

2020-09-24

BOURNE, BRIAN

Cellular Charges re Bill Dates: 10 July to 10 September 2020

-284.25

2020-09-24

Nahorney, Christopher

CUSW/OPG Bargaining - 18 Sept.'20 (inclds. Board)

-513.61

2020-09-24

Bissonnette, Bobby M.

Cellular Charges + iPad charges re Bill Date: 14 Sept.'20

-301.40

2020-10-01

Mulhall, Joseph W

NEB Strategy Meeting - 09 to 12 September 2020

-795.30

2020-10-01

McGowan, Jeff

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 21 Sept.'20

-111.89

2020-10-01

Baird, Peter B.

Expenses re September 2020

-282.80

2020-10-01

Mulgrew, Mark

Cellular Charges re Bill Date: 30 August 2020

-85.65

2020-10-01

Batty, Craig E.

Treasurer Duties - 24 September 2020

-426.74

2020-10-02

McGowan, Jeff

OPG/CUSW Negotiations - 28 Sept.'20

-367.69

2020-10-02

Nahorney, Christopher

CUSW/OPG Negotiations - 28 September 2020

-586.68

2020-10-02

Croteau, Kristopher

CUSW/OPG Negotiations - 28 September 2020

-682.19

2020-10-02

Croteau, Kristopher

NEB Strategy Meeting - 09 & 10 September 2020

-1,073.67

     

-12,985.97

       

         Cheques for Approval:  M/S Geoff Denstedt, Kris Croteau NEB Consensus.

 

  1. Reports:

 

  1. Membership Reports:

 

  1. Members off Work: 

William Cooke, Jason McIntosh, Dan Plexman, Peter Rickards, Barry Albert.

 

  1. Members Receiving LTD:

Jeffrey R Andrew, Jonathan Babcock, Timothy Carroll, Matthew Childs, Darren Christie, Isaac Dautey, Megan Elarte, Barry Golfetto, David Harrigan, Rick Kluke, Steven Krysko, Roch Labelle, Douglas Vigus, Cory Zufelt, David A. Edgcumbe, Eric Elliott, Donald Mccormick, Bruce Merlin, Donald Nugent.

 

  1. We Welcome the following Members:

Shane T Abbott, Kyler Ackwance, Erick Fernando Aguilar, Balpreet Singh Aklia, Joshua S. Alek, Nicholas Bahor, Logan Baldwin, Jesse Bannerman, Alberto Barbosa Hernandez, Joseph M Bartlett, Brandon Beale, David Norman Thomas Beardy, Mark Beaudoin, Justin Belmore, Dorian Both, William Bouttell, Shahbaz Brar, Duke Dwight Russel Butterfield, Remy Pittman Byrne, Aaron Cameron, Alec N Capay, Saiqing (Albert) Chen, Jonathan N.J Chilvers, Tristan Michael John Clark, Robert Conn, Colin Coon, Amy Curran, Gavin Neil Craig Currie, Wesley Day, Austin Decaire, Tad Decaire, Marco Demelo, Richard Dicks, Riley Eugene Gregory Dmyterko, John Drha, Angus Fillier, Martin Fox, Jacob Benjamin Gardner, Falcon Jared Genaille, Ronald Gillingham, Audrey Goh, Christopher R. Gray, Derek Griffin, Brendan Hallow, Jason Hildebrand, Jared R. Johnson, Cole Johnson, Ken Joiner, Bruce Kadolph, Lazlo Kaminawash, Ronald Kerbrat, Everett Elliot King, Spencer Koser, Mohit Kumar, Jason Lane, Marc Larade, Jacob Lawrence, Joseph Raymond (Ray) Lemieux, Rickey R. Lidstone, Jordan Loon, Jonathan Lucas, Chali Lulu, Ashley Lupul, Adam Macivor, Malcolm Maclean, Stanley W Mazur, Jonathan Mcclocklin, Craig Joseph Mcewan, Robert Mcgregor, Marcel Meekis, Cheryl Meekis, Michael Gregory Mitchell, Midhun Mohandas, Jose David Morales Gonzalez, Colton Morrill, Dustin Mowat, Dwayne Necan, Brendan Nephin, David Noseworthy, Manan M. Panchal, Daniel Pelley, Bennett Quill, Rene Ramdeen, Todd M. Reiner, Luke Richardson, Trevor Keith Rideout, Travis Robblee, Juan Gabriel Romero Mendez, Bradley Charles Ross, Norman W Ross, Nathan Sawanas, Mackenzie Schreurs, Darren Shwery, Derek Steven Simpson, William D. Small, David Smyth, Lambert Stacey, Elijah Thrall, Gabriel Thunder, Sage Tkachyk, Jacob Tobin, Liam Trout, Ramiz Vahora, Miloh Vycichlo, Dave Waldner, Ian Phillip Walker, Lee Wilson, Gabriel Wishart, Kevin Worley, Alexandre Young, Zhong Zheng.

 

  1. Financial Report: Update provided by Craig Batty.
  2. Complete report for September will be reviewed on next conference call.

 

  1. Recruitment & Referral: Update provided by John Wabb.

·        We continue to experience growth and are dispatching new member to several projects.

·        Matt Hurley continues to engage new Unit Recruitment committees as they are selected. 

 

  1. Hiring Hall Dispatch Report: see report attached.

 

  1. IT Infrastructure Update: Report provided by Joe Mulhall and Craig Batty

 

  • Coordination is now underway, and a meeting is planned to occur in two weeks time. Scope of work is identified and contracts are in place. Once reviewed by all parties an additional kick off meeting will occur. We have identified time frames and milestones are set.

 

  • Motion: to approve the sharing of costs to implement the security portion (ie antivirus, malware, etc.) of the IT Infrastructure project. The full cost of this is $140,000.00, which will be shared cost. A monthly report will be required to be presented to NEB to track cost. M/S Geoff Denstedt, Kris Croteau NEB consensus.

 

  • Motion: to approve a monthly cost share payment of 1800 dollars a day 2 days each month to Reimer Consulting for project management activities for the IT Infrastructure project. The costs will be shared 22% CUSW 8% AGC, and 2% ETTF and the balance covered by the PSBT/PRST. A monthly report will be required to be presented to NEB to track cost M/S Geoff Denstedt, Kris Croteau Consensus 

 

  1. Officer Report: 

 

  • Tom MacLean: 
    • Employer Day event held. 51 groups invited to join us, and 23 attended. It was a successful event.  

 

  • John Wabb: 
    • Negotiating continues. 
    • Workplace Representative meetings continue on zoom.
    • CPAA and IOPAA Steering Committee activities and mediation/arbitrations continue regularly, as we build capacity to move these to the workplace. 

 

  • Pete Baird:
    • Workplace Representative meeting happening weekly.
    • Apprenticeship meeting held last week which went very well.
    • Discussion with Ministry about Trade School and the back log issues due to Covid. We are awaiting the path forward.
    • Labour Board meetings 3 to 4 days in the upcoming month.
    • Employers want to meet about expanding into different geographical areas.

 

  1. CCU Report: 
  2. Executive Meeting to be held on Oct 17th it will be a half day event. 
  3. Both a labour school presentation and executive board to occur. 
  4. Tom and Craig to attend executive board,
  5. Pete Baird and Jason MacDonald to attend labour school.

 

  1. Convention Update:
  2. Committee still needs to be called together. Both Chris Cover, Pauline Carkner, Constitution Committee Representative and Bruce Unit Representative to be engaged.
  3. CAW Hall down payment is needed to secure the venue.
  4. Motion: to approve a budget of $100,000 for the purpose for the 2021 convention: M/S Tom Maclean Geoff Denstedt. NEB Consensus. 
  5. Action: Geoff Denstedt to reach out to Convention Committee. Committee needs to contact venue holder to bring forward a quote.
  6.  Hyper link to be added to Delegate Nomination email. To include what a convention is about, and what a delegate does. This will help inform the membership.

 

 

  1. New Business:

 

  1. National Committee Appointments:
    • Motion: To appoint the following members to national committees. M/S Geoff Denstedt, Tom MacLean consensus. 
    • Michelle Homes to the Constitution committee
    • Shannon Veitch and Shawn Recollet to the Health Safety and Wellness committee. 

 

  1. Participation Roundtable Report and Action Plan: draft report provided by Kristopher Stevens
    • Report reviewed by NEB.
    • Action: Joe Mulhall to setup NEB project team meeting.

 

  1. CNA Annual General Meeting – October 22, 2020: NEB to recommend this event to Nuclear Sub Committee. Kris Croteau to liaison committee and gather names of two people interested in attending the event.

 

  1. Canadian Apprenticeship Forum: National Apprenticeship Symposium Online October 14th, 2020.

 

  1. NEB Capacity Building Plan January 2020 review:
  2. Workplace Capacity Building (chart 1) - This needs to go forward, we have the green light, and a Steering committee needs to be formed. We need to look for membership that has been actively engaged in the past, not necessarily active Stewards or Health and Safety Representatives.
  3. Unit and Committee Capacity Building (chart 1) - Additional steering committees need to be developed for units and committees, these should be populated prior to year end.
  4. Membership (chart 3) Membership Committee and Recruitment and Referral activities are growing with the needs of employers. We have moved beyond having 2 people driving this independently. We will require additional assistance.
  5. Growth and Opportunity (chart 4) - We are moving forward with actions and activities are moving forward through the participation of the Growth & Opportunity committee and First Vice President.
  6. Political Action (chart 5) – The NEB will stand in place of the committee for the short term. Jason MacDonald will continue to lead in this area and support initiatives. We recognize the need to have a relationship with all political parties. Jason will draft an action plan to help move our vision forward.
  7. Training and Education (chart 6) – We will continue to recruit committee members. Gary Savioe to be contacted about joining the committee. Our focus will be on the capacity building of trustees, administrator and interested committee members. The Workplace needs to be engaged on the participation agreements with employers. 
  8. Workplace Capacity Building (chart 7) – repeat from chart 1. Action to engage a few members to take on the role of a workplace steering committee.
  9. National Executive Board Capacity Building (chart 8) - NEB to choose a model to captures our idea of a Governance model we would like to present to the membership. Action Tom MacLean. Kevin Forbes Action: to supply Joe Cooke with vision of model to share with NEB. SME to be engaged to help us frame a model. 
  10. Succession Planning (chart 11) - This is difficult when we have an electoral process. The emergency plan needs to be developed.
  11. Policy on Compensation: NEB supports current lost wages for membership coming out of the field on rotation to support the union. Committee to investigate a wage schedule for representatives that have stayed on as representatives beyond the agreement in the rotation agreement, and provide feedback to NEB. The idea is to see if a common wage schedule can be made.

 

  1. ASWA:  Report provided by Tom MacLean

 

  1. CUSW BC: Report provided by Tom MacLean

 

  1. Social Committee Request: Motion: to approve $1500.00 request to purchase gift card prizes for online social actives such as, Christmas colouring for kids, Christmas tree decorationHalloween house decoration,Pumpkin carving : M/S  Craig Batty, Tom MacLean Consensus

 

Motion to Adjourn:  October 2, 2020 1:14 pm M/S: Joe Mulhall, Craig Batty consensus. 

 

Next Meetings: Post NEB Schedule so committees and units are aware of schedule

  • Tuesday October 13, 2020 7pm-8pm Governance structure and capacity building discussion.
  • Tuesday October 27, 2020 7pm-8pm Participation Roundtable discussion.
  • Friday November 6, 2020 – 8:00 til 4:00
  • Friday December 4, 2020 – 8:00 til 4:00
  • Friday January 8, 2021 – 8:00 til 4:00
  • Friday February 5, 2021 – 8:00 til 4:00
  • Friday March 5, 2021 – 8:00 til 4:00
  • Friday April 2, 2021 – 8:00 til 4:00